Monday, August 22, 2016

Instructor's Introduction

Hello everyone! Class? Students? Let's go with class. Hello class!

My name is Mikki, and I'll be teaching you all about digital media, marketing, social media, professional development, and more! This is my first year teaching a college-level course, & I can't wait to start this journey with all of you. So here's a little bit about me:

I'm currently the digital marketing coordinator for the Lawrence, Topeka, and Manhattan Hy-Vee stores. Before that I was a small business owner, and before that I worked at GO Topeka.

My academic background is in strategic communications, journalism, and creative writing. I have three degrees from Washburn - a BA in Mass Media, a BA in English, and a Masters in Liberal Studies. After graduation, I realized that I could combine two things I loved - writing and strategic planning - by working in the field of digital marketing. In my field, content is king, but strategy is a necessity. I specialize in strategic social media management, content creation, organic social media growth, and digital community management and engagement.

Fun stuff! I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and Supernatural. I love reading EVERYTHING. I hand embroider (yep, that thing your grandma does). I love sparkly things and glitter. I love paper crafts like journaling and scrapbooking. My signature color is teal, my signature accessories are sunglasses and big earrings, and my signature drink is a dirty pumpkin chai latte with almond milk. I love signature things. ;D I'm hoping to start a lifestyle blog by the end of 2016 called The Sparkle Philosophy, and I aim to run a full-time online business by the time I'm 32.

Seriously. Big earrings are my thing. Don't wear them.
Image from sushiandsamba.tumblr.com.


I LOVE the city of Topeka and am actively involved in many organizations and events. I have been involved with Fast Forward for almost 5 years and have held many leadership roles within the organization. I was on the team that brought TEDx to Topeka in 2014 and was honored to be a TEDxTopeka speaker in 2015. Keep an eye out for TEDxTopekaWomen, happening in October! I'm also involved in SilverSparkle, Topeka Brunchin, Works of Heart, NOTO Anonymous, and more.

I can't wait to learn more about your lives, your summer, and your hopes for your college career!

No comments:

Post a Comment